Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: RE: SUPER SPOOF DELUXE Re: Microsoft and Security

From: "Mark Laurence" <m.laurence () groveindependentschool co uk>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 2004 09:49:29 +0100

I think the most likely scenario for the windows update thing would be that
you would click on a link from a site you are surfing that advises you to
install the latest updates by visiting windowsupdate. You follow the link,
address bar looks good so you have no reason to expect a problem.
The malicious link would have inserted a frame that looks like the scan for
updates page, the user follows the scan for updates, installs what he thinks
is a legit security update, which is in fact a piece of spyware or a trojan.
User reboots and thinks nothing of it....in the meantime he has become a
host for a load of p0rn or a gateway for hackers to use for anything they
want.
IMO anyway
Mark