Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: local SYSTEM on Windows vs. local root onUnix

From: "Jeremiah Cornelius" <jeremiah () nur net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 22:12:08 -0800

----- Original Message -----
From: "joe" <mvp () joeware net>

I understand what you are saying but don't completely agree with intent.
More Unix admins know how to run things as root than Windows admins know how
to run things in localsystem. Getting localsystem isn't a straight logon
with a specific password thing, you have to know how to either spin up a
specific service to do what you want or force an existing service to do what
you want.

SRVANY.EXE
"Application associated with Microsoft Windows NT4/2000/XP Resource Kit which is used to run normal Windows
applications as services."  I used this as long as 7-8 years ago, on NT 3.51 - for running batch-files as services.

The KB article
(http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=http://support.microsoft.com:80/support/kb/articles/q137/8/90.asp&NoWebContent=1)
 actually states "The Windows NT Resource Kit provides two utilities that allow you to create a Windows NT user-defined
service for Windows NT applications and some 16-bit applications (but not for batch files). "  That wasn't true on Old
NT - but I wouldn't recommend doing so.  You had to declare your entire environment in the batchfile, if AUTOEXEC.NT
didn't give you what you wanted.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html