Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Nortons Liveupdate - problem?

From: "Joshua Levitsky" <jlevitsk () joshie com>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 22:19:50 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: "Gregh" <chows () ozemail com au> To: "Joshua Levitsky" <jlevitsk () joshie com>; <full-disclosure () lists netsys com>
Sent: Monday, January 19, 2004 10:13 PM
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Nortons Liveupdate - problem?

Where else would Nortons be looking BUT their servers for updates? Sigh....

You don't have to use Symantec servers for live updates. I run a set of servers at work, and our thousands of Windows and Macintosh clients update from there rather than Symantec. The reason to use an internal server is that you can stage and test definitions. Also with LiveUpdate 2.0 you can make your own update packages for apps other than Symantec apps. You can deploy them through your internal servers.

--
Joshua Levitsky, MCSE, CISSP
System Engineer

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.