Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Religion... was RE: Re: January 15 is Personal Firewall Day, help the cause

From: Jim Race <caferace () well com>
Date: Sun, 18 Jan 2004 18:10:11 -0800

David F. Skoll wrote:

I have a very powerful heuristic on my mail server:  I discard anything
with an .exe attachment.

That ain't near enough. If you *really* want to get rid of Win32 stuff, try:

.386    .bat    .bin    .cmd    .com    .cpl
.exe    .lnk    .pif    .scr    .shb    .vbs

and if you want to be even more aggressive, add:

.ade    .adp    .bas    .chm    .crt    .dll    .dot
.eml    .hlp    .hta    .inf    .ins    .isp    .js
.jse    .mdb    .mde    .msc    .msi    .msp    .mst
.ocx    .pcd    .pif    .reg    .sct    .shs    .shs
.url    .vb     .vbe    .wsc    .wsf    .wsh

Of course, that will nuke a lot of stuff you don't want to lose, especially for someone interested in security.

But it is one hell of a housecleaner. :)

-jim

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html