Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fw: [TOTALLY OT] Google fun

From: Kerry Thompson <kez-fulld () crypt gen nz>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 08:45:03 +1300

On Fri, 2004-01-30 at 15:47, Nick Price wrote:
I wonder when someone will get about 500 domains and start googlebombing
businesses and the like for a fee...

I believe that it has been done. I was in a presentation about a year
ago where a marketing guy from the US explained how Google ranks pages,
and how people are working on higher rankings.

Its not surprising that a high Google rank can mean a lot of visits and
therefore lots of $revenue for a business. Many companies will pay good
money for a Google rank, and some have created 1000's of fake websites
linking to the site that they want to rank up. Some sites with active
content ( php, etc ) will detect the GoogleBot crawler hitting pages,
and adjust their active content to feed the bot with whatever they like.

--
Kerry Thompson, CISSP
IT Security Consultant

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.