Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Culprit Bio: Perfect Storm Averted or Just Ahead?

From: David <ph1 () cogeco ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 15:48:52 -0500

Peter wrote:

If I can believe the virus researchers www.microsoft.com is not going to be
a target..
MyDoom.B apperntly enters into you hosts file along with a lot of others
www.microsft.com with address 0.0.0.0
I think a DoS sending http GET requests to www.microsfot.com from that
machine is probably not going to reach microsoft.

It was mentioned somewhere (I think f-secure) that it will remove certain entries before it starts the attack.

http://f-secure.com/v-descs/mydoom_b.shtml

"An additional line is added before the the date when attack against Microsoft begins:

0.0.0.0 www.microsoft.com

Which will make the site unaccessible. The 3rd of February the entry will be removed so the attack can be performed, which will probably cause some difficulties reaching it, if the DDoS is successful."

Peter