Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OpenBSD 'pf' port (was FreeBSD heap to Linux)

From: Scott Francis <darkuncle () darkuncle net>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2004 15:14:39 -0800

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 07:15:20AM +1000, Ian.Latter () mq edu au said:
If anyone is currently working on this I'd like to hear from them.

I thought the ANU guys had made an ipfilter port to linux at about
(linux) kernel 2.0 (it was an option against ipfwadm) .. but I have
just done a quick search and I can't see any reference to that.

It's not that I don't like OpenBSD, it's just that there are some projects
where I need a decent firewall to be co-resident with Linux.  IPTables
is not an option unless it's my only option.

What could you get from pf that you couldn't get from iptables (I've
not played with the little devil yet)?

read the pf(4) and pf.conf(5) man pages and you'll have a pretty good idea.
There's also the highly informative pf User's Guide, with lots of sample
configs. All of this stuff is over at http://www.openbsd.org.
--
       Scott Francis | darkuncle(at)darkuncle(dot)net | 0x5537F527
"I gave you the chance of aiding me willingly, but you have elected the way