Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Knocking Microsoft

From: Steve Wray <steve.wray () paradise net nz>
Date: Sun, 29 Feb 2004 08:31:57 +1300

[mailto:full-disclosure-admin () lists netsys com] On Behalf Of
martin f krafft
Some of them (debian comes to mind) even set up services
like mysql to run in *single*user*mode*;

not true.

I've seen it. I trust the evidence of my senses. It was an older debian
install though.

debian even brings up networking in single user!

... which is helpful. alas, there are no daemons listening, so what
gives?

The purpose of single user is to be able to bring a machine up
in a bare state; 'single user' mode. Its just personal, but networking
is a sufficiently complex subsystem that it should not be enabled
in single user mode.

I recently had the joy of discovering that when you install the
debian watchdog package, it sets it up to run in single user, so
if its misconfigured, you have to boot with init=/bin/sh to fix
the mess (otherwise you bring it up in single user and it just
reboots itself over and over).

wrong:

no its something I have seen happen and it wasn't pretty.

This isn't just a bug, its a design flaw!

I'd appreciate if you'd either start using your brain or shut up
while spouting fud!

Thats pretty rude of you, and pointless too.
Did it make you feel better though?

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html