Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Knocking Microsoft

From: martin f krafft <madduck () madduck net>
Date: Sat, 28 Feb 2004 13:32:10 +0100

also sprach Steve Wray <steve.wray () paradise net nz> [2004.02.28.0218 +0100]:
Most of the nice, friendly, easy to use package management
systems (rpm and apt for two) usually run the daemon
in its default configuration, immediately its installed.

While this is somewhat true, I suggest again to look at Debian. If
they start the daemon by default, then usually the configuration
will have been secured by the packager.

IMO this *sucks* and is every bit as bad as any M$ offering.

I agree. There are easy ways to undo these changes though, using apt
hooks and the like.

Some of them (debian comes to mind) even set up services
like mysql to run in *single*user*mode*;

not true.

debconf asks whether mysql should be started on boot. only if the
admin says 'yes', then the following is executed:

  update-rc.d mysql defaults

from update-rc.d(8):

  If defaults is used then update-rc.d will make links to start the
  ser- vice  in  runlevels  2345  and  stop  the service in
  runlevels 016.

debian even brings up networking in single user!

... which is helpful. alas, there are no daemons listening, so what
gives?

I recently had the joy of discovering that when you install the
debian watchdog package, it sets it up to run in single user, so
if its misconfigured, you have to boot with init=/bin/sh to fix
the mess (otherwise you bring it up in single user and it just
reboots itself over and over).

wrong:

from debian/postinst:

  update-rc.d watchdog defaults 10 80 >/dev/null

This isn't just a bug, its a design flaw!

I'd appreciate if you'd either start using your brain or shut up
while spouting fud!

--

invalid/expired pgp subkeys? use subkeys.pgp.net as keyserver!

there is no place like ~