Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The new Microsoft math: 1 patch for 14 vulnerabilities, MS04-011

From: Roman Drahtmueller <draht () suse de>
Date: Wed, 14 Apr 2004 16:35:57 +0200 (MEST)

I use Linux, OpenBSD and Windows in my enterprise.  Linux and OpenBSD use
the "1 patch for 1 vulnerability" rule.  Seems to me that MS is bunching
their patches together in order to make it seem on the surface that Windows
has less patches than other Oses, therefore it is more secure.  CIOs, take
note.

It happens from time to time (today...) that several bugs get fixed with
one update package on SUSE Linux (and other Linuxes). But: One update
package fixes one package, whereas one patch can consist of several update
packages (in our patch management framework).

After all, it is a matter of transparency if you can manually,
individually select what update package you want on your system and which
not. Probably even more important: You should also be able to see what
_changes_ have been applied to every single update package. Otherwise, you
just can't know what else has been "fixed"...

Regards,
Roman.
--
| Roman Drahtmüller      <draht () suse de> // "You don't need eyes to see, |

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html