Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Music Sharing.

From: <srenna () vdbmusic com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:56:13 -0400

That won't alwasy work.
I don't know enough about the inner workings of Limewire
and such but I know that AIM has a mechanism to go out over
any well known port such as 53 or 21...i'm sure the makers
of P2P have incorporated similiar features into their
designs.

The only advice I can give is to monitor the traffic
utilizing Snort, create AUPs for employees, and take steps
against them if they violate it.

Someone else out there may have a better idea, but if IM
can do it, i'm sure these programs can take any outbound
path they want...

Scott Renna
Symantec Managed Security Services

On Mon, 15 Sep 2003 13:42:03 -0400