Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Pudent default security - Was: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

From: "security () brvenik com" <security () brvenik com>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 22:20:31 -0400

I would add yet another take on this.

Michal Zalewski wrote:
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Paul Schmehl wrote:

Oh, you might have a firewall that cordons off accounting from the rest
of the enterprise, but *inside* accounting, you still have the "soft,
chewy"  problem. I haven't really seen anything that addresses this
problem, and I'm not aware of anyone who is working on solving it.

I'd argue... many vendors (Okena aka Cisco, BlackICE aka ISS, etc)
provide integrated corporation-wide mechanisms for enforcing group
firewalling, access and logging/IDS policies on workstations or groups of
workstations (and, why not, also servers).

The technology is already in the OS for the most part to implement many of these controls. Especially when you consider what a system needs to do. The products like Okena, Entercept, BlackICE... all add another layer of protection that is essentially unnecessary when compared to function. I am not saying these products have no place but rather they are not the solution to this problem.

Let me explain my perspective a little. Typically, only one system in accounting needs to have services open on the network, a print server. The rest of the systems do not need any services open. W2K and XP both have firewalls capable of blocking ports. Every system on the network should have a deny all policy where appropriate. There might be a file server thrown in there and depending on the apps in use possibly a middle tier but in all there a very manageable number of systems that actually offer services in even the largest of organizations. ( unless of course they made the mistake of using Exchange :)

The usual objection is that blocking all ports in this manner prohibits administration. This is simply untrue, there are many scalable, manageable, affordable alternative methods. It might be true that it forces the administrator to do things differently but change is almost always good.

One alternative method might be terminal services running in high security mode. While not perfect you still have full control of the remote host for point administration and have only one service to protect over one port (3389) instead of a myriad of services being offered by the never ending portmapper. Yes, things like tsgrinder exist to help brute a connection however the level of risk there is the same as regular smb. Other alternatives might be domains and policies... The sum is that there is no shortage of administrative options.

By the time you do a baseline configuration with local filtering, services disabled and remote administration you do not need the host based products on a large scale. It has also been my experience that these host based products are as much of a beast to administer on a large scale as the OS is. I would rather invest that money in a robust patch management solution and deployment of that solution than continuing to mask the problems with an existing deployment. Most of these changes can be made in place and with the same level of effort required to deploy the commercial personal firewalls but without the product cost.

All of this excludes Paul and the ISP market. They might actually benefit from offering the Personal Firewall products for free or at a discount as part of the service. Regardless, that is a different ball of wax that Paul will be happy to enlighten anyone on.

But then people say that the personal firewall can prevent local intrusions too since it runs on the host. I simply counter that this is a rat race and you have to trust the person at the keyboard. If you do not trust the person at the keyboard a change in people is in order. The untrusted person will ultimately circumvent your controls. Then it becomes a hide and seek game.

Addressing the application protocol layer can help a little too but when you break down what actually needs to be running where and how the problem becomes so little that you can safely manage them and mitigate the risk.

I think that the problem is not the protocol or the application. It is a fundamental lack of understanding of the security model and the network as a whole.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html