Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: CyberInsecurity: The cost of Monopoly

From: Paul Schmehl <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Sun, 28 Sep 2003 12:20:28 -0500

--On Sunday, September 28, 2003 8:14 AM -0400 Karl DeBisschop <kdebisschop () alert infoplease com> wrote:

Crunchy shell, soft-chewy insides?

I don't think "we" as a "security community" have even begun to tackle this problem. We talk about it, but who is *really* doing it? For example, if you want to network machines you *have* to use SMB/NetBIOS for Windows, NFS for Unix, CIFS, or something similar. Who is really looking at how to be secure while still allowing internal machines to talk to each other? Certainly none of the above protocols qualify as secure.

When a machine is problematic, for whatever reason, the usual reaction is "block it at the firewall". But that doesn't protect that machine from *other* internal machines. It only protects it from the outside. Oh, you might have a firewall that cordons off accounting from the rest of the enterprise, but *inside* accounting, you still have the "soft, chewy" problem.

I haven't really seen anything that addresses this problem, and I'm not aware of anyone who is working on solving it. For the most part security thinking is still in the middle ages - build a castle with moats and outer defensive rings, and staggered entrances to make it hard for the enemy to get it. Once he gets in, what does current security thinking offer? Not much.

What we need is a paradigm shift in thinking.

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member