Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Patch Deployment

From: "mike" <mike () mishley net>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 18:26:33 GMT

Just finished the test installation, things are going well. Looking right now at using it to distributed crafted MSI packages for registry changes (for instance, to disable DCOM service). The interface is kind of strange but once you understand it it's relatively forgiving. Make sure to contact technical support if you have ANY questions, they are very responsive and also quite knowledgeable, so use the resources you've been given. Also, make sure you update your PLUS server right away as some critical hotfixes have come out (functionality related, not security). You'll see the list of updates on the homepage of the application in the scrollbar on the right. One note. They suggest installing on a vanilla Windows 200 Server SP 2 machine with IIS installed...if you don't go and install the MDAC packages, the installation won't work at all. You can find those packages at http://www.microsoft.com/data/download_260rtm.htm. Once I installed that it worked fine, otherwise you'll get an MSDE error and it'll freeze at 74%. Overall seems like a very capable product. I quite like it insofar as Windows desktops are concerned. I would never use automated patch management for servers or *nix boxes, but this'll cut down on patch management for the desktops in a big way. Mish