Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Hacker suspect says his PC was hijacked

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:30:21 -0400

On Mon, 13 Oct 2003 12:20:50 EDT, Joshua Levitsky said:

Or is it -your- responsibility to take it to an authorized dealer to
have the recall performed? Nobody makes you service your car. Nobody
makes you update Windows. In both scenarios you have problems because
of failure of the end user of a product to take personal responsibility
for the upkeep of a product they have purchased.

To refresh your memory, with emphasis added this time:

and my car has software in it. The last time I checked, the author of
the ABS, Airbag, Cruise Control, and diagnostic software HAD NO
RESPONSIBILITY TO LET ME KNOW about critical updates for said software.

I never said they had to fix it. You said they didn't even have to tell you there was
a problem - which they sometimes do, that's why the recall system exists.