Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Coding securely, was Linux (in)security

From: Brett Hutley <brett () hutley net>
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2003 14:44:28 +1100

Paul Schmehl wrote:

*snip*
You complain that the code would be really slowed down if consistent and complete error checking were done. I wonder if anyone has ever really tried to write code that way and then tested it to see if it really *did* slow down the process? Or if this is just another one of those "truisms" in computing that's never really been put to the test?

Yup. I work on large distributed systems for financial risk management processing. We have some very tight calculation loops with preallocated buffers because we can't afford to do any unnecessary stuff in these loops. Because they are buried deep in the calculation engine we don't need to worry about validating the input. An unnecessary piece of code here makes the difference between the job taking 1 hour to process or 10 hours. There are some circumstances where tight code is essential. Of course in MOST systems the speed of execution is not that critical.

Cheers, Brett
--
Brett Hutley [MAppFin,CISSP,SANS GCIH]
mailto:brett () hutley net