Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: AT&T early warning system

From: "jkm" <jkmanowar9 () fastmail fm>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:25:09 -0800

On Fri, 17 Oct 2003 23:28:44 -0400 (EDT), "Jay Sulzberger"
<jays () panix com> said:

I am glad that a telephone company is working to bring the InterWeb under
the same sort of statistical oversight as the telphone net was under
circa
1950.

Even the crudest of old fashioned traffic analysis, and the most
elementary
precautions against massive channeled scabland packet flows would have
stopped most of the recent worm annoyances.

oo--JS.

I'm interested in the technical aspect of it all. Is AT&T going to start
simple port blocking, or whatever I didn't think of, against worms which
might interfere with what legit ports that might be open. Would love to
know what they have in mind for this Internet Protect and its
implementation.
Ok, I've got to read up on what happened in the 1950s for the telephone
network since I wasn't even born then. :)
--
  jkm
  jkmanowar9 () fastmail fm

--