Full Disclosure mailing list archives

AT&T early warning system

From: "jkm" <jkmanowar9 () fastmail fm>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2003 18:44:21 -0800

The related link: http://www.nwfusion.com/news/2003/0929att.html

Quote 1:
"With Internet Protect, AT&T will use internally developed traffic
analysis tools to look for anomalies such as traffic spikes, traffic
drop-offs and unusual protocols in use."

Quote 2:
"AT&T saw anomalies in its network three to four weeks before that worm
hit and was able to take certain precautions. "When the worm actually
happened, AT&T's network did not take a hit,'' Eslambolchi said."

Does anybody know or has worked with this Internet Protect, AT&T is now
pushing as the next big thing. And I question whether quote 2 happened
exactly as Eslambolchi said.
For the network gurus, will traffic analysis prevent all or most attacks
be it worms or otherwise? My current view is that it is not a catchall
and the traffic anaylsis might also be used by AT&T for other stuff like
what Verisign did recently to sell more products or such. What do u
think?

--
  jkm
  jkmanowar9 () fastmail fm