Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: M$ puts bounty out for Blaster and Sobig culprits

From: Vic Vandal <vvandal () well com>
Date: Wed, 5 Nov 2003 10:30:30 -0800 (PST)

In all fairness, you forgot at least one possible scenario in
your rebuttal:

5. If one person found a flaw, logic and common sense dictates
that others could and would eventually find the same flaw.
Hopefully by that time M$ (or any other software vendor) would
have done the smart/right thing and issued a patch or service
pack to address the flaw (whether or not anyone actually applied
the patch is another story).

At least under that scenario the likelihood of a zero-day exploit
is reduced.  Therefore my point stands, although I didn't put
more than a moments thought into it before spewing it out.  It was
almost meant in gest, and I never indicated it was an absolute
solution (note the words "maybe" and "might" clearly included).
Anyway, my main contribution there was the article, strictly for
informational sake.  When I try to solve the InfoSec problems of
the world, I'll be a lot more thorough about it.

Peace,
Vic