Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fw: Red Hat Linux end-of-life update and transition planning

From: "Jonathan A. Zdziarski" <jonathan () nuclearelephant com>
Date: Tue, 04 Nov 2003 09:40:45 -0500

The copanies aren't the thing.  The people are the thing.  This isn't
corporate america, it is open source.

Exactly why I think the GPL needs to address issues like this.  I've no
problem with a commercial entity using my code, or even incorporating it
into their own software...but if you're going to make a profit off of
merely redistributing someone else's work, or if your product is
basically someone else's work with a little wrapper around it, the
author should benefit.  Bottom line, open source licensing is designed
to protect the author and benefit the community - and the GPL isn't
doing a very good job at that now that redistribution is commercialized.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html