Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Destroying PCs remotely?

From: "William D. Colburn (aka Schlake)" <wcolburn () nmt edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:30:56 -0600

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 12:29:09PM -0400, Shawn McMahon wrote:
bill, he was bitching about people doing something illegal that he
personally disagrees with, and that has a potential direct effect on him
since he holds some copyrights.

I bet he doesn't hold a single copyright to any of his music.  Copyright
exists to protect the artist, but the artist can't get published unless
he gives up his copyright to a corporation.

I don't think people should steal music, and I don't lend CDs to people
who I know will rip the tracks, but neither do I believe that the arists
have any say in copyright policy since they gave theirs up, nor do I
believe that the corporation which bought the copyright is entitled to
any of the protections that were meant for the artist.

The whole copyright battle as portrayed in the media is a bunch of
posturing and rhetoric that is trying to convince people to abandon our
existing parasigm that popular culture is "public property" of the
society, and not restricted commercial property.

--
William Colburn, "Sysprog" <wcolburn () nmt edu>
Computer Center, New Mexico Institute of Mining and Technology