Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Microsoft wins Homeland Security Bid (

From: Mitch Adair <mitch () theneteffect com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jul 2003 14:17:11 -0500 (CDT)

I would hope and think that this would give Microsoft
more incentive to make their products more secure from
the begging.  I see this as possibly being a benefit to all of
us (hopefully).

Agreed!  Customer demand is the only way that we as a community can
influence the evolution of inherent security controls, whether the target
of discussion is Microsoft or any other product vendor.

"Let's teach microsoft that we won't put up with their substandard,
insecure software... by giving them truckloads of money and contracts."

Yeah, *that'll* teach 'em...

You're suggesting implementing the "carrot and stick" approach by simply
handing MSFT the carrot and requesting they use the stick to beat the
hell out of you...

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html