Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: interesting?

From: "Berend-Jan Wever" <SkyLined () edup tudelft nl>
Date: Sat, 1 Feb 2003 10:54:31 +0100

I think this is significant as it could offer some
insight into whether it is more efficient or economical (fewer
iterations?) to distribute mobile or replicating information
into a network in a controlled vs. a random way. To me, it's
eerily similar to the question of how to distribute
vulnerability information most effectively in a system
of interconnected administrators.

Randomly seems to have worked quite well this time around.

If it would not have had a random scanning engine but would have scanned all
"possible" IP addresses one by one(256*256*256*256=4,294,967,296 possible
targets), at 55 million scans per second it would take 78 seconds for it to
scan them all. The way I see it, it's randomness seems to have hampered it.

<quote>
The worm achieved its full scanning rate (over 55 million scans per second)
after approximatly three minutes, after which the rate of growth slowed down
somewhat because significant portions of the network did not have enough
bandwidth to allow it to operate unhindered.
</quote>

Berend-Jan Wever

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html