Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [inbox] Re: Reacting to a server compromise

From: "morning_wood" <se_cur_ity () hotmail com>
Date: Sun, 3 Aug 2003 14:20:28 -0700

----- Original Message -----
From: "Curt Purdy" <purdy () tecman com>
To: "'Jennifer Bradley'" <jenbradley () webmail co za>;
<full-disclosure () lists netsys com>
Sent: Sunday, August 03, 2003 1:29 PM
Subject: RE: [inbox] Re: [Full-disclosure] Reacting to a server compromise

Jennifer, I made a reply to someone disagreeing with your statement on
copying the drive, supporting your contention.  However, most courts will
not accept log files on magnetic media as evidence due to the ease of
alteration.  This is why we collect all logs on a central syslog server
that
writes directly to write-once media.  That is irrefutable evidence.

and what if all the connections were via proxy on the charged persons
computer???
lets convict innocent people, i think not.
condider the simple tcpredirect or a proxy, running on ( Jennifers )
system, omg look, Jennifer is being arrested for embezilling ABC company
because  ABC companys logs show Jennifers ip address as the originating IP
address.
im still failing to see computer generated access logs based upon IP
addresses as evidence.

Donnie Werner

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html