Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: U.S. military helps fund Calgary hacker with $2.3 million

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 14:11:58 -0700

Pekka Savola wrote:
That claim is certainly untrue.

If you take a default install from 7 years back, you certainly have more
remote holes, in services that have since been removed from the default
install -- looking 7 years back from *current* default install, not
default install *7 years back*.

I think that's what they're trying to claim. IIRC, the hole that got them to change to the current "only one hole..." was one of the OpenSSH holes. What other remote hole(s) were in the default install?

OpenBSD is supposed to be June 1, 1997, so I guess the 7 years is intended to cover the entire life of OpenBSD?

(I am an OpenBSD fan in general, and I think they have a strong security track record. I don't think the current claim under discussion is particularly strong though... if you want to be sarcastic, my Apple ][, C64, and MS-DOS machines have had 0 remote holes in the default installs for 20-odd years, and I don't see that changing anytime soon.)

                                                BB

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html