Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: U.S. military helps fund Calgary hacker with $2.3 million

From: Blue Boar <BlueBoar () thievco com>
Date: Mon, 07 Apr 2003 11:31:48 -0700

Georgi Guninski wrote:
http://www.securitynewsportal.com/cgi-bin/cgi-script/csNews/csNews.cgi?database=JanY%2edb&command=viewone&id=72&op=t

Fine opinion about war and m$, but the statement
"OpenBSD, which does not develop as many products as Microsoft, says only one vulnerability or hole has been found in its software in the past seven years"
is untrue.

If you track down the original copy of the article (on the Slashdot front page ATM)
http://www.globetechnology.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20030406.whack46/GTStory
You'll see that they author is a "business and technology correspondent". I.e. he's not a techie, which is apparent if you read his description of source code. You'll also notice that the statement you take issue with is not a direct quote. I'd be willing to give Theo the benefit of the doubt that the author misunderstood the "Only one remote hole in the default install, in more than 7 years!" claim of the OpenBSD team. Unless you think that claim is also untrue.

                                        BB

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html