IDS mailing list archives

[Suspected Spam]RE: Re: I love the smell of whining in the morning...

From: "Nelson Brito" <nbrito () sekure org>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 2009 20:15:07 -0200

Sorry, Andrew, but I have do disagree.

Each one of the IPSes you mentioned has its own approach and its own engine.
This means different products are doing almost the same thing. I said almost
because we can see that some of them moved forward to apply better protection
mixed with better performance. What I saw, and am still seeing, is that some of
them try to differentiate themselves using shared memory with multiples x86 CPUs
(ISS & Sourcefire) and FPGAs with ASICs (Tippingpoint and McAfee).

I am not assuming that this is better than that, the real thing is that if you
can do something really good to protect against threats, so you are doing great.

The point in this thread is that 5 years ago almost all of them got good results
and now just one (I am not considering "that one" which got worse results than
TP) got a really bad result. Times changes and in this case something changed in
a bad sense.

Real world threats can be simulated in lab environment, that is proofed in all
security conferences we see nowadays.

No one can proof something without test in lab, and if you get the NSS
methodology you will see that the procedures and tests are really great to
perform a score of good or bad IPS.

So, what is the big deal if one of the IPS players got bad results? They will
keep the marketing staff working hard to rise their market share anyway...

I can tell you, based on my 8 years working and researching deeply the IPS
world, that there are a lot of IPSes vulnerable to "one-to-four bytes" evasion
techniques. And I am not talking about "black magic"... I am talking about
really easy ways to do different things in different manners.

/*
 * $Id: signature,v 1.2 2009-12-03 11:23:42-02 nbrito Exp $
 *
 * Nelson Brito / Security Researcher / fnstenv.blogspot.com
 * Copyright(c) 2009 Nelson Brito <nbrito[at]sekure[dot]org>.
 */