IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS detection approaches

From: Liran Cohen <theog () rct co il>
Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 17:30:31 +0200

I think blocking packets based on scoring of the source is a very bad way to go, just like spam it will result in a lot of false positives, and actually lead to a "selective" internet which I am sure many dont want the thing is by scoring you cannot just decide a subnet is likely to have attacks originating from it thus block that subnet (like people do with e-mails) I happened to see a lot of e-mails servers which were blocked due to CBLs and such and were in fact clean servers but removing such an entry from the CBLs is a very long tiring process resulting in servers such as hotmail which many dont use because it blocks many subnets. I would hate to see the same happen with IDS i.e. trying to surf the internet and getting a "your page has been blocked due to IP black listing from your subnet" because someone decided to perform an attack from my subnet.

My 2 cents.... ;)

'Merigoth' wrote:
FF, I believe IDS placement should depend upon it's purpose. The
purpose of the IDS should determine where the IDS is placed. For
example, an IDS whose purpose is to identify all possible inbound
threats for firewall tweaking (or returning traffic back to the
community ;]) should be placed outside the firewall. A production
protection IDS would probably be better placed inside the firewall.
Defense-in-depth and architecture design are two key points to
remember.

As far as answering the initial question, one new trend is
"vector-based" modeling. Take a look at http://www.trustedsource.org/,
and the trustedsource query. Plug in a few IP addresses and see.
(NOTE: I do not work for secure computing.) The simplistic idea is a
network space, 192.168.1.x (for example), is given a "credit card"
score (or trust-worthiness score). This "trust-worthiness" score is a
determination of the network space to be secure and remain secure at a
given point in time. If the IP address or network space is flagged as
malicious, a firewall admin may wish to block all traffic to/from that
IP space. Remember that saying about blocking email based upon country
codes/location/email language due to the likelihood of spam. This
takes that idea and makes it a little more useful, in my opinion. This
is possible because it is an aggregation of flow data, signature based
and heuristic/anomaly detection IDS capabilities.
Partially referring back to the initial paragraph and what others have
mentioned, a company needs a blended IDS system. Signature-based
systems require dedicated analysts to maintain, and can quickly absorb
storage space on large links. Flow data, usually coming from routers,
can provide important information. However, it usually requires an
outside trigger (like a trustworthiness score or an IDS event) to
research. One of the key benefits of flow data is the amount of
traffic passed for an event. An IDS system may not capture the full
stream or storage may be an issue. Flow data can record the totally
bytes passed, which can be in the 10s of megs of data, in the space of
a few hundred bytes. So the conversation turns back into
defense-in-depth and architecture design.

I think application layer / "deep packet analysis" is also starting to
take off, as well.

Hopefully, this helps snort user.