IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS detection approaches

From: Adam Powers <apowers () lancope com>
Date: Sat, 06 Oct 2007 16:54:47 -0400

I would completely go with a signature based IDS. Anomaly based IDS will not
give you the greatest results.

Seems like this conversation just comes up over and over on this list. It's
like a broken record.

Anyway, Defend the above statement. What experience do you have with
anomaly/behavior systems? I suspect not much. At least not with any of the
modern ones such as that from Mazu or Lancope.

Nowadays when you talk about "anomaly IDS" you're talking about
NetFlow-based systems that absolutely smoke sig-based systems on cost vs.
value. If you have 500 sites on an MPLS cloud, you need 500 SPAN/tap/mirror
based probes. Not so with NetFlow-based systems. You need only a flow
collector appliance and a management console. The routers at each of the
sites provide a "virtual probe" of sorts that sends traffic accounting
telemetry back to the centrally located collector. Far cheaper than anything
you'll get out of a sig-based platform.

I recommend sig-based systems at critical areas in the network (datacenter
switch fabrics, Internet ingress/egress points, etc. and NetFlow technology
everywhere else. Together they make a powerful combination. But simply
saying "Anomaly based IDS will not give you the greatest results" is both an
uninformed, dated, and inaccurate view of the way things really are.

On 10/4/07 10:29 PM, "frankfrydrych () gmail com" <frankfrydrych () gmail com>