IDS mailing list archives

Re: Skype & IPS vendor claims

From: "ROB DIXON" <rdixon () workforcewv org>
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 11:06:28 -0400

Has anyone, tried to connect and run ethereal to see where it is
connecting? Does it change everytime?

Unless the client updates its connection info everytime, in preparation
for the next login, wouldn't the client always connect to the same host
name or IP for the initial login?

Does Skype own a block of public Ips? Block em all :-)

I may be off track here. My wife tells me that all the time ;-)

Robert L. Dixon,  C|HFI
State of West Virginia's
West Virginia Office of Technology
Infrastructure Applications
Netware/GroupWise Administrator
Telephone: (304)-558-5472 ex.4225
If you spend more on coffee than on IT security, you will be hacked.
What's more, you deserve to be hacked.
-- former White House cybersecurity czar Richard Clarke
Vladimir Parkhaev <vladimir () arobas net>  >>>
Quoting Matt Jonkman (mjonkman () infotex com):
What these vendors may be doing it trying to block access to
centralized
login or directory servers by known IP ranges... I don't know if
that'll
be completely effective.

If I understand the protocol correctly, central servers are contacted
only on a first run
(after install). I(D|P)S systems can have sigs with IP addresses of
those servers, but if user X installs Skype client on his corp. laptop
at home... it doesn't help much.

--
.signature: No such file or directory

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708

to learn more.