IDS mailing list archives

Re: Skype & IPS vendor claims

From: Vladimir Parkhaev <vladimir () arobas net>
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 13:27:39 -0400

Quoting Matt Jonkman (mjonkman () infotex com):
What these vendors may be doing it trying to block access to centralized
login or directory servers by known IP ranges... I don't know if that'll
be completely effective.

If I understand the protocol correctly, central servers are contacted only on a first run
(after install). I(D|P)S systems can have sigs with IP addresses of those servers, but if user X installs Skype client
on his corp. laptop at home... it doesn't help much.

--
.signature: No such file or directory

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708
to learn more.