IDS mailing list archives

RE: IPS Reliability/Availability

From: "Andrew Plato" <andrew.plato () anitian com>
Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 08:04:30 -0800

Most of these devices are pretty good for reliability. The only
exception I would make is SourceFire, which back when we sold it had
abysmal reliability (3 out of 4 boxes we sold to a customer show up dead
or died soon after installation).

TippingPoint sells a zero-power bypass add-on for their IPS. If the IPS
fails in anyway, traffic is passed through the zero-power device. Its
very easy to add. Juniper does something similar.

Andrew Plato, CISSP, CISM
President/Principal Consultant
Anitian Enterprise Security