IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: "Biswas, Proneet" <pbiswas () ipolicynetworks com>
Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 15:49:42 -0700

Hi Brian,
Another good method to qualify a system would be to judge if a
particualr signature is targetting the exploit or the vulnerability
which the exploit is targetted for.
Example:
Lets take a simple buffer overflow case where a particular FTP user name
if more than 200 characters would allow user to execute code. The code
which would be executed would depend on the actual code which is passed
on after the buffer of 200 characters.

False negative side
----------------------
If the user has written specific signatures for the executabel shell
code, then the chances are his false positive is very low, but then
there are so many exploit code combinations, that he could miss out on
one of them and thus miss out an actual exploit. Tools like metasploit
allow you to test the combination of vulnerability plus payload to
detect what kind of IPS signature is impelmented.

False postive side
If the user has written a singature to actually test the buffer
overflow, then the chances of his getting false negative are low as he
would catch all the buffer overflow cases irrespective of the executable
code. However, this would increase his false positive scenario as even
if the code after the 200 characters is not executable code, it would
still block or generate an alert as configured.

Thanks
Proneet Biswas.
I find that the harder I work, the more luck I seem to have