IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS vs. IPS deployment feedback

From: "Cojocea, Mike (IST)" <Mike.Cojocea () watsonwyatt com>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2006 14:14:53 -0400

Juniper, CISCO, McAfee have open or semi-open signatures. And if you
have a big problem with a signature I think that if you call the tec
support of the other two big players (ISS and TippingPoint) they will
help you out with some confidential information about a specific
signature.

Also, AFAIK, in ISS you can use Snort syntax or similar to create your
own signatures (I guess they call it TRONS ;) ) Free to recreate all the
Snort sigs.

BTW, why Snort is called lightweight IDS on SNORT.ORG page?

Thanks,
Mike