IDS mailing list archives

Re: IPS comparison

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Sat, 03 Sep 2005 01:58:56 -0500

On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 18:02 -0400, Adam Powers wrote:
This is why most of today's *successful* anomaly detection technologies
incorporate a learning or "behavioral" component that overcomes this kind of
problem. Take StealthWatch for instance. When a new DNS server comes online,
StealthWatch looks at the flows being generated by the server, figures out
what the server is and how it's behaving, then applies the appropriate
algorithms given the contextual awareness of the server's learned behaviors.

In a nutshell:

1. New host detected.
2. Let's watch it for a bit and figure out what it's up to.
3. Now that we know what the machine is and does, apply the proper anomaly
detection techniques to the traffic generated by the host.

uhm... then I would rather not use Stealthwatch. If a new host comes
online, I'd like to receive an alert on that. Also, letting the IDS
guess what is normal may be suboptimal. For instance, if a host is
hacked and starts an FTP server on a new IP address the hacker assigns
(new host), the IDS will watch the FTP traffic of the pubstro and then
consider it normal. Except that it isn't :)

So having an IDS accept a new host and consider it's traffic normal
without any sort of alerts of user intervention can hardly be considered
a "successful" IDS.

Regards,
Frank

--
Ciscogate: Shame on Cisco. Double-Shame on ISS.