IDS mailing list archives

RE: IPS comparison

From: "Zahir, Rubayat" <rubayat.zahir () csfb com>
Date: Fri, 2 Sep 2005 17:50:01 +0100

Good Day Everyone,
IDS/IPS has gotten much better in the industry, and sophisticated; Agreed, but so has attacks and vulnerabilties which
has been the primary driver for their enhancement. In any event, my point to all was, IDS and IPS are great, as long as
you have continuity in maintaining and monitoring them. My recommendation to all is to continuously scan the network
and learn new attack methods, because new penetration tactics performed by hackers are devised to bypass your IDS/IPS.
Especially if you look the codes and instructions of the codes and modification capabilities of those codes which allow
you do so easily. Additionally, my example may have been outdated, but the technical facts still apply to modern
attacks on the network. The mere thought of defending any single product for protecting/detecting attacks on one's
network is an example of faulty thinking on one's part. IDS/IPS from any vendor cannot and will not be full proof ever.
Most firms use them to reduce risk. But key is
to make sure you monitor the tools and have a dedicated staff to react to any major attacks and have a firm incident
response procedure and team. Most importantly, where did you place your sensors is the key to architecting your IDS.
You will be surprised, how thats done wrong.
Thanks.

Sincerely yours,
Rubayat M. Zahir