IDS mailing list archives

Re: Denial of Service: Commercial Defense products

From: Roland Dobbins <rdobbins () cisco com>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2005 16:59:20 -0800

Actually, FinAckSyn; the Guard doesn't work that way. Traffic headed into zones under protection is routed into the Guard itself, and then various forms of antispoofing and anomaly-detection are performed to determine whether or not the traffic is valid. Invalid traffic is dropped by the Guard, while valid traffic is re-injected into the network in order to continue towards its destination.

The Guard is usually configured as an on-demand device; it's only 'inline' when needed, the rest of the time, traffic follows its normal course through the network. This type of operation ensures that the Guard is only examining traffic when such examination is required, and also doesn't require the network to be re-engineered in order to induce artificial symmetry.

In the case of your SP using the Guard to protect your gaming servers, it sounds to me as if some baselining is needed in order to fine-tune the Guard's profiles of what constitute normal and valid traffic to your gaming servers.

For more information on the Guard, NetFlow, and Arbor, see this URL:

        http://www.cisco.com/go/cleanpipes