IDS mailing list archives

RE: IDS\IPS that can handle one Gig

From: "Gary Halleen" <ghalleen () cisco com>
Date: Sun, 5 Jun 2005 01:21:57 -0700

If you Google as you've suggested, it's quite obvious that your message is
intended as a slam against our (Cisco's) products.

1.)  Cisco bases our performance test on industry accepted standards
following the stringent NSS Group test criteria as well as our own analysis
of live network traffic indicative of typical enterprise networks.  We
clearly state the test conditions under which we reach our performance
metrics and they are legitimate and representative of real-world situations.

2.)  The statement that 5000 cps equates to only 10 Mbps of throughput is
flawed and assumes that each newly established session only has a delivery
of 250 bytes of total payload per session.  This would be equivalent to only
establishment and teardown of the session with no useful communication.  Our
research indicates that an average session contains between 10,000 and
25,000 bytes of information transferred.  From these numbers (if you do the
math) you will find that the throughput of these useful sessions are between
500 Mbps and 1 Gbps supporting Cisco's reported performance claims.

3.) Cisco never disables "vital security features" such as fragment
reassembly, TCP stream reassembly, or HTTP deobfuscation when testing,
validating and reporting our IPS performance.  We don't take shortcuts as
implied in this thread.

The author of the original email is using inappropriate math to attempt to
make a self-serving statement around ASIC based technology and TopLayer's
performance supremacy.

Gary