IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS data sets

From: Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2005 16:11:31 +0100

Hallo Salim,

I am a newbie to the forum. I am looking for some pointers as far as
techniques/tools used in analyzing IDS data published by MIT & DARPA
(http://www.ll.mit.edu/IST/ideval/).

The data are intended for IDS evaluation, thus you can analyze them with any IDS / Network traffic analysis tool (as far as the TCPDump logs are concerned) or with a BSM auditing tool for the rest of them.

My attempts thus far have resulted in
crashing of my windows system.

Well, what operation doesn't crash a windows system nowadays :)

Seriously: those datasets are HUGE. I advise you to use stable, simple utilities to analyze them. And lots of RAM would help, also.

The data available is five years old and I
have some doubts about the validity of any results obtained from the data

There is an awfully good critique of that dataset in J. McHugh, "Testing Intrusion detection systems: a critique of the 1998 and 1999 DARPA intrusion detection system evaluations as performed by Lincoln Laboratory", ACM Transactions on Information and System Security (TISSEC), Volume 3, Issue 4 (November 2000)
http://portal.acm.org/citation.cfm?id=382923

--
Cordiali saluti,
Stefano Zanero

Politecnico di Milano - Dip. Elettronica e Informazione
Via Ponzio, 34/5 I-20133 Milano - ITALY
Tel.    +39 02 2399-4010/3660
Fax.    +39 02 2399-3411
E-mail: zanero () elet polimi it