IDS mailing list archives

RE: performance metrics for IPS systems?

From: THolman () toplayer com
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2005 06:29:38 -0500

I'm planning on demanding that the IPS systems perform at >225,000
packets/second (100% of packets inspected) with <.5ms latency per
packet.  Is this reasonable for an IPS?

I would also insist on 0% packet loss.  These are all perfectly reasonable
expectations from an IPS, however, these figures cannot be met (at
medium-to-heavy loads) with certain IDS vendors who all of a sudden are
claiming IPS ability due to market pressures.

In fact, a lot of IPS vendors will not actually publish such performance
statistics, and it has been up to the unsuspecting buyer to find out later
on that what they bought is simply not up to scratch.

This is where NSS tests become so invaluable - Bob does great work of
blowing away the smoke and smashing the mirrors so that potential buyers can
make choices based on real technical credibility, rather than marketing
spiel !

That being said, you probably won't find an IPS that introduces more than
1ms of latency.

You SHOULDN'T find an IPS that introduces this amount of latency, but it is
invariable when you subject a PCI bus to a heavy load.  This latency is also
unacceptable on core networks and many web-based applications.

My parting message - if you're in the market for an IPS, be very careful and
ask for technical proof for all the things that IPS can say it can do before
you even think about letting it onto your network !

Regards,

Tim