IDS mailing list archives

Re: free hIDS, or system assessment tools

From: Ron Gula <rgula () tenablesecurity com>
Date: Mon, 27 Sep 2004 21:09:38 -0400

At 06:17 PM 9/23/2004 -0500, Ty Bodell wrote:
Fahad--
Nessus does local checks on boxes with SSH :-)  And for windows
there's always MBSA.
--Ty Bodell

.... hey I thought this was the IDS forum ....

Of course if you plug Nessus and then mention windows, you should
check out NeWT 2.1 when we release it later this week. It runs on
windows, does the same network/SSH/Windows local checks as Nessus
and has it's own reports and XML format. There is *no charge* for
the class C version.

You can download NeWT 2.0 here:
http://cgi.tenablesecurity.com/tenable/requestForm.php

NeWT 2.1 will be available later this week and includes support
for XP SP2, and SSH local checks for AIX, Solaris, SuSE, OS X and
others.

And just to bring it back to an IDS discussion, you can run all
of the NASL scripts from Nessus, right from your windows laptop
and also enable a variety of NIDS bypass options from an easy
to use tabbed interface.

Ron Gula, CTO
Tenable Network Security
http://www.tenablesecurity.com

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.securityfocus.com/sponsor/CoreSecurity_focus-ids_040708 to learn more.