IDS mailing list archives

Re: Wishlist for IPS Products - HYBRID IPS

From: "Andy Cuff" <lists () securitywizardry com>
Date: Sun, 12 Sep 2004 11:12:47 +0100

Hey Jack,
Great wish list and some of the vendors are moving towards much of this
functionality.  However, presently I see a divide in the technology; firstly
rate based products which have been termed Attack Mitigation Systems and
secondly content based products termed Intrusion Prevention Systems.  As I
mentioned earlier, many of the products focus on one or the other side of
the divide, but increasingly offer both types of analysis in a hybrid
fashion.  Looking at your wishlist is appears you are aiming at the Hybrid
IPS market

I have attempted to divide the 2 camps below.
AMS http://securitywizardry.com/idsdosmit.htm
Network IPS http://securitywizardry.com/inline.htm
But I haven't looked at breaking out the various Hybrid IPS, if anyone
wishes to take this on I will create the page, though with a 5 hour daily
commute have very little time for online researching of the products  (Hence
I've been quiet for the last few weeks)

 -andy cuff
Talisker's Computer Security Portal
Computer Network Defence Ltd