IDS mailing list archives

Re: Anomaly Based Network IDS

From: Barry Fitzgerald <bkfsec () sdf lonestar org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 2004 12:35:47 -0400

Drew Simonis wrote:

I wonder why volume of anomolies is a point of consideration
here.  As I have stated, I am a user of Mazu Network's Profiler
product (and have been since early December).  This product
features the ability to compare network traffic against a evolving baseline, which would allow me to, for example, instantly
detect traffic to a port on a machine that wasn't there before.

Volume of anomolies matters because most active networks actually have a large number of anomolies that occur during standard usage. In small, highly regimented corporate networks - detecting anomolies of this nature works well. In large organizations with many users, in particular organizations that have a large user body that isn't under IT's control - like universities, the number of anomolies increases. Therefore, there either has to be a greater tolerance of anomolies, or the admin has to be watching the detection system closely to try to analyze anomolies. Invariably, what happens in the last case is that the threat with the greatest advertisement gets the most attention. In a sea of kazaa connections and worms, a loan cracker breaking into a box can look insignificant.

In other words, it depends... and that's where the volume of anomolies comes into consideration. It's the same as false positives in IDS' -- on high volume networks they can drown out real events.

The implications are (to me, anyway) obvious.  In my experience,
an exploited machine usually begins listening on a new port.  For
example, if I exploit a webserver, I may have a listener on a high port so that I may connect in and do my thing. It isn't likely that I'd use 80/tcp as my listener, as that would make detection trivial (i.e. my webserver isn't serving!).
Not necessarily. Someone once showed me a trojan that was designed to sniff traffic on the network instead of opening up a new port. Someone sends a formatted command to your web server, your web server drops the request as garbage, gives an error, and meanwhile the trojan is doing it's work because it detected it's command.

This would, most likely, not be picked up at all by your anomoly detection agent. We're not even talking about ignoring protocol rules here, just using a specific combination of commands.

As soon as a connection to this listener is made, I get an alert. If a host starts communicating with other hosts that it traditionally doesn't, I can get an alert. If a server stops receiving traffic on a port, or traffic falls below a threshold, I can get an alert.

The point is, while the initial attack vector may not generate
alertable activity, in most cases the utilization of the attacked
host would, and that is the value I see.

Yep, there's definately value there. But the true hackers out there probably aren't going to be making these systems go crazy with alerts. The good ones know how to not be seen. Sure, if you have a noisy hacker on your network this will detect them. But the really good 0-day producers aren't usually noisy, because even without anomoly detection, that would remove their advantage.

            -Barry