IDS mailing list archives

RE: IPS Futures

From: "Rob Shein" <shoten () starpower net>
Date: Thu, 22 Jul 2004 14:51:13 -0400

Actually, that isn't exactly what a typical IPS is these days.  For example,
by the time a single-packet attack (even if that one packet is TCP and goes
after the handshake) takes place, it's too late to lock down the firewall.
A snort-based IPS would be like what the honeynet project's gen II honeynets
used: snort-inline with hogwash to mangle attacks so they wouldn't work.
The idea isn't to respond to the attack, but rather to actively prevent the
attack from working in the first place, either by not passing it or by
altering it.