IDS mailing list archives

RE: IPS Futures

From: "M Shirk" <shirkdog_linux () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 2004 07:29:26 -0400

Basically I you can run an IPS with snort-inline with iptables.

This is great, because I am in control, but what I experienced in the real CLIENT world is a whole different story. Some of the implementations of IDS solutions were terrible. I could not trust the same clients to actually setup the IPS correctly. There is too much of a margin of error.

However, if this is within your own company, it is the way to go. IPS is a better solution than IDS alone. My paranoia is the real world of terrible implementation. Example would be a spoofed router for their internet connection banging the firewall and the IPS shutsdown all trafiic, and the Internet connection the company used to have :-)

I would be interested if anyone is a Managaed Service Securty Provider and has had good luck with installation at remote client sites.

Shirkdog