IDS mailing list archives

RE: Hi, I want to study IPS

From: "Chris Petersen" <chris.petersen () security-conscious com>
Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2004 09:01:48 -0600

In our experience developing technology of this type (albeit data-mining
anomoly detection software), you will need data from real networks to test
your algorithms/methods against.  Putting up a test network, with test data
does not provide a good baseline against which to evaluate the effectiveness
of your techniques.  You need real data, with real anomalies.

If you can't get a live feed from production networks, you might try
something like tcpdump combined with tcpreplay.  It's been awhile but I
believe what I did was pump tcpdump files into a hub via tcpreplay.  I then
connected our sniffer and analysis software to the hub.  I believe its also
possible to do this without a hub where the replay system and sniffer are
one and the same.

I think the most important consideration is making sure you have a network
architecture that allows you to collect, replay, and sniff as much traffic
as possible by as many different systems as possible.

Good luck,

Chris Petersen
CTO Security Conscious, Inc.
www.logrhythm.com