IDS mailing list archives

RE: need your help,thanks

From: "Hayden Searle" <hayden.searle () safecom co nz>
Date: Mon, 30 Aug 2004 03:30:47 +1200

My experience has been with the ISS products and this has a database
backend and can produce reports to help you find out what is 'normal'
for your environment, and it also correlates like attacks, and has the
ability to check the incoming attacks against known hosts (targets). If
the "Security Fusion" module is installed, it can tell you if the
targeted host is vulnerable to the attack.

False positives take a long time to tune out of your system, and you can
never fully get rid of them, as new signatures come out all the time.
IDS's while good to help with your perimeter security are a job in
themselves, if you want to ensure good effective network security
principles, and accuracy of the alerts.

Hayden Searle