IDS mailing list archives

Re: port bonding and taps

From: Aaron Cheek <aaron_cheek () yahoo com>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2003 08:52:11 -0700 (PDT)

What we have done is to set a 10 Mb Ethernet hub up
near the tap and run both tap ports into it. We then

plug whatever sniffers you want into the hub and you

will see both sides of the traffic.

Why use a tap at all if you are using a hub all the
same? You can use a read-only cable to connect your
IDS directly to the hub (as described in the snort
FAQ) and get the same effect.

Aaron