IDS mailing list archives

Re: Low cost HID based IDS system

From: "Dick Li (eBits Limited)" <dli () ebits com hk>
Date: Thu, 22 May 2003 17:16:07 +0800

 Hi Zach,

as a MSSP in my city, our company serves groups of customer using open
source HID (e.g. tripwire) and NIDs (snort is my favour). (we aslo use
commerical tools but they are not our major sources) I can say the
"business model" definitely work. Our staff provide technical service
and the clients pay the montly bill. Many customers, those small &
medium, are lack of resources either buying a "branded" ids or
delicating IT staff to handle difficult security works. However, they
are willing and capable of spending service fee on monthly/quarterly
basis for services like we provide. In certain sense they are not much
care whether the tools we use are either commercial or open source. In
fact, more and more customers undestand of the merit of using open
source, not only "cheap" but quality and reliability.....

Dick Li
Consultant
eBits Limited

Paul Schmehl wrote:

I'm a big believer in open source. I use snort, nessus, nmap, etc.
daily. I run snort on FreeBSD. I'm writing to you on a RedHat box. I
don't think that I missed your point. I was trying to point out to you
that the cost of a service isn't *just* the equipment or software you
have to provide. You need to think about that carefully, or you will
burn yourself out trying to help your customers.

As one who monitors our network I can tell you that while snort is
free, installing it, configuring it, keeping it up to date and
*monitoring it* is not. It's nice to have the technology in place, but
I *do* have to sleep from time to time, and when I'm sleeping the bad
guys are not.

You're absolutely right that something is better than nothing. I'm
just trying to warn you to not get your customers' hopes up too high.
Unless you can monitor 24/7/365 you *will* miss attacks. They need to
know that. They need to understand that the *best* model is one where
they get 24/7/365 coverage. What you're thinking about offering them
is *useful*, but it needs to be taken in context.

I am *not* saying that what you're thinking about doing is a bad idea.
I *am* saying that you need to be realistic regarding your and your
customers' expectations and you need to think about how much putting
this system together will cost you. I'm sure you don't consider your
time as free. How much are you willing to "spend" to put together a
system? And how long will it take you to recover that cost?

--On Monday, May 19, 2003 10:21:01 AM +1000 Zach Forsyth